Scaling and Root Planing In Clear Lake City, TX
To maintain your bright, radiant smile, Lifeline Dental offers regular exams and dental cleanings twice yearly as a part of prophylactic oral care. However, if you have signs of gingivitis or periodontal disease, you will need more than regular dental cleaning. Our dentists under the guidance of Dr. Nahhas utilize the latest techniques to maintain optimal gum health with scaling and root planing (SRP) in Houston, TX. This non-invasive treatment removes plaque and tartar deposits above and beneath the gum line for complete debridement. With this technique, we will reverse the earliest stage of gum disease to maintain your healthy smile. If you are concerned about your oral health, contact us today to get the best preventive dental treatments.
Request An Appointment
What Are The Signs of Gum Disease?
Poor oral hygiene results in the deposition of plaque and tartar around the gum line. If left untreated, these deposits migrate below the gumline, infecting the gingival tissues and causing bone loss. Common indications that may necessitate the need for scaling and root planing in Houston, TX, include:
- Reddish, inflamed, or swollen gums
- Gum bleeding
- Gum pockets around teeth
- Bad breath or foul taste in the mouth
- Gum recession
- Loose teeth
- Changes in bite
Questions About Scaling and Root Planing ?
How Does Scaling and Root Planing Help?
It is a non-surgical treatment for gum disease that involves deep cleaning and debridement around the gum tissues. Unlike routine dental cleaning that removes plaque above the gum line, scaling and root planing scrapes off buildup beneath the gums as well to restore healthy, supportive tissues.
Accumulation of plaque and tartar deposits on the tooth surfaces is the leading cause of gum disease. It provides an open gateway to harmful oral bacteria that trigger inflammation of the gum tissues. If the disease progresses, it cannot be reversed with brushing and flossing alone.
This is why our Houston, TX, dentist recommend scaling and root planing, which removes deposits and allows the reattachment of gums.
They performed an emergency extraction for me, rescuing me from extreme pain from an exposed nerve. They are professional, compassionate, comprehensive and good! Couldn’t ask for better service from an emergency dental visit!
What Are The Steps of Scaling and Root Planing in Houston, TX?
- Oral exam: Our dentists will start by examining your oral cavity to assess the health of your teeth and gums. If there are signs of gum disease, we will proceed with periodontal therapy.
- Anesthesia: Since it is a deep cleaning procedure, we will inject local anesthesia to numb the gums and surrounding tissues to minimize pain and sensitivity.
- Scaling: We will use an ultrasonic scaling device to eliminate plaque and tartar deposits on the tooth surfaces. It also removes stubborn stains and brightens teeth.
- Root planing: Using the ultrasonic scaler, we will gently scrape off the deposits on the root surfaces and smoothen them. This promotes healthy reattachment of the gums.
- Antibiotics: Our Houston dentist may place topical antibiotics beneath the gum line to kill the remaining bacteria and protect gum tissues.
Get Early Preventive Dental Care
Periodontal disease can cause serious complications if it is left untreated for long. Our qualified dentists can restore your ideal gum health with scaling and root planing in Houston, TX. Schedule a dental exam at our practice today by calling (281) 409-3777.